Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 30: Hutchinson, KS to Larned, KS (77 Miles)

Today was boring.

That's right, you heard me correctly. Even the most profound journeys must have their dry spells, and I'm assuming I'm going through one now. Maybe's it my mood, inflicted by disappointment in someone on the home front, or maybe it's the dull, flat landscape? I did sleep in and went to the post office with the guys... but as we were pulling out of town, Dowds broke one of his Shimano pedals. We decided to catch breakfast in town and wait for the bike shop to open at 9:00AM. When all was said and finished, we finally began to ride North to get back on route. However, as we left the shop, one of the workers commented that there was an unusually strong North by Northeast wind. We soon found out how strong.

The wind constantly pushed against us with such force, that it constantly felt like we were going uphill. It was a long, slow, and dreadful ride. I let the quicker-paced Brits ride ahead and I tried to keep my mind off of things by listening to podcasts, but it was hard not to notice the complete isolation that surrounded me. There was a stretch of 60 miles with absolutely no sign of human life... with the rare exception of a few road signs, barb-wire fences and anti-abortion billboards. I met the guys at a local pool around 4:00PM and they told me they sorted us a place to sleep for the night, a local Presbyterian church. We're going to grab some food and I'm going to bed early with the hopes of a less-windy day.

(P.S. I somehow lost all my photos taken today. They weren't particularly exciting, so don't think you're missing out on anything.)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

What??? Kansas - boring? Say it ain't so :)

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |